Thursday, August 12, 2010

Preschools

I wouldnt even bother looking for a preschool for Hunter since he is just 3. But he is a boy that would really love and benefit from a great preschool. He would love the songs, playing, making friends, getting dirty all the while learning to take turns, share and expressing his feelings etc. The trouble is, I cant find a preschool where any of that is important.

Brad and I went to an in-home one yesterday,it was a very nice home and she had the school area completely set apart and it was nice, but her curriculum made me sick. Her focus was getting the kids ready for kindergarten, and she didnt seperate the 3 yr olds from the 5 yr olds! SO there she was telling/showing me what she does and I am thinking, "who wants this for a 3 yr old?!?!" The focus was numbers, letters, writing, and it would be 12 kids to 1 teacher!! She had a listening station instead of reading the books to the kids herself. No discovery table, no dress up area, NO BLOCKS, no painting etc etc. THATS what I am looking for. I just dont know if I will find it. I want a teacher who is AMAZING and can love Hunter for who he is. I love Hunter's enthusiasm and excitement for everything and I want that to be encouraged as well as setting limits, expectations and helping Hunter understand that.

That's what it was all about when I taught up on campus. I have sent in an application, but doubt Hunter will get in. SO just in case, I am on the hunt for Hunter. We go to another one today and we'll see how it is.

At first Brad thought I was just being picky. But Mother's have every right to be particular to find the best place for their children's needs. And after we left there yesterday, Brad said he didnt feel good about it either.

1 comment:

Cassott Kinghorn said...

I wish I could start up a preschool! Have to finish silly school first :( But it is something I want to do when we have money. Sorry it won't be in time for Hunter :s and good luck finding something! PS-I'm doing super, I was working for Merry Maids since May and have been really busy. I quit last week and went on a family vacation and now I'll be starting student teaching next week :D