I realize that I am very lucky with easy going, happy kiddos. As of yet, they have never had stranger anxiety, colic, or even the dreaded store meltdown. They have always been really happy little shoppers. Today however, I experienced a meltdown. Although it was pretty mild, it was a first.
We headed to Idaho Falls and went to Michaels. Hunter kept asking to go to Michaels once I mentioned the name. When I told him Michael's was a store, not as in Michael's (a persons) house. Before we went in the store I told him that if he wanted to stay out of the cart he had to stay by mom and not run away and if he did he would go in the cart . Once in the doors and down an isle, he ran away. I went and got him and told him he couldnt run away and put him in the cart. Oh boy, tears, loud crying etc etc. Oh and he kept crying "i want michael!!" I continued shopping and told him when he runs away, he has to go in the cart.
Then once we were at the truck in the parking lot and I took him out, he ran off!! Oh boy did he get it!! I grabbed him and got down on his eye level and told him sternly that that was not safe, never run away in the road etc etc. Again, crying, wailing and the works. I knew he was tired and i also knew I had super walmart to still go to. I almost thought about just going home and thought, "no way! i'm here and i'm not going to the store later and Hunter needs to learn to behave and if he doesnt, there are consequences!" However, I did tell him if he was happy while in the cart (he lost the out-of-cart priveledge) we could get a treat.
And after that I didnt have one problem. He helped hold my shopping list, helped put items on the counter and was awesome!! After 15 minutes on the car ride home he was OUT!! Plus he stayed asleep when I got him out of the truck and put him in bed.
The treat of his choice, a little bag of cheetos and capri sun.
2 comments:
Oh man, I wish I didn't know about store meltdowns. However, I know all too well how those go. They're fun right? haha
I think you are doing an incredible job! Thank you for helping me:)
Post a Comment