Sunday, March 21, 2010

Africa is too far Away!

MY parents' internet went out. And by some miracle MOm was able to send me a text. All it said was that they didnt have internet and mom had malaria. I knew she must be pretty sick to actually tell me. She is tough and never tells us when she is sick. She had malaria before but didnt tell us until AFTERWARDS because she said it wasnt that bad. Finally today we had an email from Pappy and this is what it said

Dear Family: Mom was literally struck down with malaria last Wednesday Night. Welost access to the internet approximately the same time!

Malaria is scary and very very messy. Luckily we had a couple of boxes of the right medicine and it started to "kick in" soon. Mom is now well enough to be a bit cranky.

The Doctor, Elder Maughan, says full recovery will take about threeweeks. The body manufactures a complete new blood system to replacethe one contaminated. What I found interesting is there is no malariamedicine in the USA. The medicine we use is manufactured in China. It has not been approved by the USDA because there have not been enough malaria cases in the United States for an adequate test base - 100,000cases.

The African people have some type of immunity to malaria. They get itabout twice a year and it doesn't affect them like it does people fromNorth America. From our observation, at least twenty percent of the Senior Missionary Couples - one member of each Senior MissionaryCouple - gets "the bug."

But, the loss of the internet was one hundred percent for the past four days.

More later after Mom gets feeling better. It has taken me twentyminutes to write these few lines.

I love you. Dad

5 comments:

Valerie said...

so glad to hear your mom is doing better

April and JJ said...

Wow, that's a little nerve racking! I hope she continues to get better!

The Burila Bunch said...

That is really hard to hear that they lost the internet when your mom could use it the most to hear how much everyone is praying for her to recover quickly. It was wonderful of your dad to send the email. I hope the time flies by that she will feel better soon. Keeping your family in our prayers. love ya.

Miriam Lusk said...

I cannot imagine! We take so much for granted in the US. So many things that are just common place in other countries, like malaria, affect so many elsewhere. Glad to hear your mom is recovering well!

Erin said...

I'm praying for your parents right now!