I havent been blogging because I cant find my camera and didnt have anything to really share.
The kiddos have colds and we are finally on the getting better side of them. Saturday and SUnday nights we could not calm Hunter down. He was higher than a kite and I realized it was the cold medicine! It totally wound him up! I mean we could not even get him to sit still for 2 seconds. Brad was trying to talk to Hunter about staying in bed and HUnter was climbing all over Brad roaring like a tiger. I was stifling a laugh because it was funny, scary, and frustrating at the same time. Sunday night he didnt fall asleep until 11:45. At one point I told brad "let's pretend we're asleep" So hunter comes into our room the millionth time and we hear him whispering to himself. He stands at the foot of our bed and crows "COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOO!" After that I just stayed up with him.
So then yesterday (Monday) I didnt wake Hunter up for school and he slept in until 9:35!! By 9:55 he had pooped in the bath tub!!!! I was sooo frustrated and just knew today would be one of those days! And boy howdy, it was! He wasnt obeying AT ALL he threw legos all over the room and nothing i did would get him to pick them up! He was just everywhere and I hated how I was so angry. I rarely get angry with my kids but yesterday I was and I HATED it. I eventually threw in the towel and took a shower. WHen Brad got home I just sobbed in his arms. We went to my parents' house for Family Home Evening. Memaw came too and she brought our niece, Averee and she and Hunter just played. Averee was a life saver! She kept Hunter happy and busy.
So when we got home Hunter was tired but got a second wind after scriptures and prayers. I was ready for bed and IN bed by 9 pm. However Hunter was getting out of bed and I was the one who needed to do something. So I did!! Here is what happened.
I knew that the last two nights Hunter staying up was due to the medicine and that last night he was TESTING limits and it was all behavioral. He WOULD NOT stay in his room. So i went in his room and said "Hunter you can read books and play with your toys, but you must stay in your room. If you come out I will take away the light. So you can choose to stay in your room and read and play with the light, or come out and i will take away the light" .
45 seconds later I was unscrewing his light bulb. He was screaming and crying and I thought "crying is good, he will realize how tired he is". So then for 25 minutes I sat outside his door and everytime he opened the door I would just put him back on his bed and tell him not to come out. I was determined to stick to it knowing it would make a big difference for tomorrow night, the next night etc. And eventually he stopped trying to come out and totally fell asleep on his bed!!!!!!! I was ELATED and so proud of myself! he was asleep by 10:20 and woke up today at 8:47. A pretty good sleep!
And so far today has been MUCH better than yesterday! Hunter is calmer and back to his normal self and I am back to myself too. I guess he and I both just had bad days yesterday.
1 comment:
Sorry you all had a rough day yesterday. I am glad to hear that today is going better. On the "cockadoodle-do," Kennon does that any time he thinks we are sleeping! Hilarious and annoying all at the same time!
Post a Comment