Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Help! at my wit's end!

Hunter is 3 1/2 yrs old exactly. The last few days i sware he has become posessed by a little boy I just dont know what to do with. I seriously want to put him in the green garbage can and roll him down the street! He is reverting back to behavior we had conquered! He has had TWO accidents today, potty AND just now poo poos! He is back to running away when we step foot outside! Last week I was so impressed with how well he was doing in stores with out a cart etc. Monday as mentioned previously I was flabbergasted and just angry.The anger has gone and i am dumbfounded! He doenst obey a word we say. I say stop jumping, he jumps higher and harder etc. HELP!! Words of wisdom, experience, comfort is greatly needed!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, my dear, I am right there with you. On some days, it seems that Ethan does not listen at all. It sure can drive you crazy. I wish I had great advice, but I'm going through the same stuff. I've heard this is a three year old stage. Just pray all the time, when you can't stand it, and slow down. I've been trying to really listen to what Ethan's little three year old desires are. Trying to understand this little man. Its a day by day process. I'm praying for you:)

Melanie Toutai said...

Oh My GOODNESS!!! We are in the SAME boat with Mapi! She has been driving me INSANE too! In fact just yesterday I threatened to just QUIT!! Of course I never could but ugghhh i feel your pain girl!! Love you!!

Cassott Kinghorn said...

Sorry I don't have mommy experience yet but with the special needs children I've worked with positive behavioral supports have really helped me survive. You can find something that will work for you and your family through google, just type in positive behavior supports. My personal favorite is Love and Logic. I hope that helps! Love you, hang in there! it will be only for a small moment... :D

Rebecca said...

Yes, yes, yes. This is what is going on in my house too. I don't understand the reverting back to childish behavior and it's so hard to deal with! I've been reading up on potty issues and bedtime issues because that's what we're dealing with and books say it's all about a power struggle. They do this because they want to show you they don't have to do what you want all the time.

The books say give more options throughout the day. Don't criticize the bad behavior and praise, praise, praise the "big kid" behavior- even if it doesn't relate to potty. If they put their dish in the sink, you say, "What a big boy to clean up your dishes!" Instead of saying "No" or "Don't," tell them how to stop doing something with a positive sentence. "Keep your feet on the ground" instead of "Stop jumping." This is what I'm trying but I don't know how well it works yet.

Also, with the potty- I read that you tell them it's their responsibility (in whatever words you want to use) and they are in charge and you are there to help them whenever they need it. You take the pressure to perform off of them. Again, don't know if this works yet, but we're trying it today. We also put her back in pull-ups. Not happy about that, but it's taking pressure off everyone because I don't keep her on the potty for an hour before bedtime anymore. So I'm not getting angry or anxious and she isn't holding back just to spite me.

I'm about to check into a hotel for a week and let someone else deal with this! If you find any tips that work, PLEASE let me know!

Miriam Lusk said...

Motherhood is so hard sometimes. Adney just came off a week where he was a complete terror and would pee on the floor on purpose just because he could. So I definitely feel your pain.

It makes me wonder if Heavenly Father feels the same way about his children sometimes (or all the time). We conquer something and then revert back to old ways. How frustrating His job must be! But eventually we get it. Hunter will too.

You are a good mom. And Hunter is SUCH a good kid! You are just having a rough patch. Hang in there!