Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The good, the bad and the unpleasant

So last week I went to the dr because for the last 2 weeks I would just be sitting there and feel like I was going to pass out. I thought for sure it was blood pressure problems or something. So I went to Dr. Lofgran and I LOVE him! He takes the time with you and is just great! (if only he was an OBGYN here!)

So I am anemic. No new news. I have always been anemic but he is the FIRST dr to want to find out why. So the took some blood and did tests and Brad and I came back in to get this awful red bump removed off my forehead.

The Good: My blood pressure and blood sugar levels are AMAZING!! He also removed this hideous bump I had named "the beast", I was very good at hiding it, but was soo self concious about it. We have wonderful insurance and this is a HUGE blessing. My Dr. is great!

The Bad: I am EXTREMELY anemic. So you have your hemoglobin count and that is the iron stored in like your refrigerator, what is accesible right away. Then you have another count and that is like your food storage in your basement, your supply of iron if you will. That count was an 8 for me and it should be at 50!!!!!!!!! So there is definitly something not quite right. Also, my mom was extremely anemic as well. She also had her first polyp when she was 35 therefore all 7 of us kiddos need to be checked. Everyone else has.

The Unpleasant: I have to get a colonoscopy to look for polyps that may be bleeding and causing me to be anemic. Not worried at all or about the procedure, I just do not want the drink!! I have seen my mom gag this drink down before her proceures, I have had to yell in her face like a coach to get her to drink it. And now it is payback. I will have to drink this awful toxin!! Also, after the colonoscopy he wants me to get a pelvic exam to look for polyps in my uterus as well. Atleast I dont have to drink a drink for that! And then I go back after that and the Dr. will take it from there.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Ew! I didn't know you had to drink anything before a colonoscopy. Uck! Good luck! Hope they find the problem and fix it for ya!

Melissa said...

Unpleasant! I'm no dr, but I bet a green smoothie a day would do wonders for you iron count. You know how much iron is in spinach!?! My 2 kids and I eat/drink almost 1 lb of greens everyday. We love us some green smoothies! 1/3 water, 1/3 greens, 1/3 fruit yum yum